We are excited to announce our latest initiative – Project BlackoutUK London
Project BlackoutUK London is a unique opportunity to build connections with a diverse group of black queer/gay/bi/sgl creative men in London, create a shared platform for your voices, build your skills, knowledge, profile and networks, and develop a new way of building communities in which black queer lives matter.
Project Blackout UK London is a 12-month public conversation between up to twelve black queer men in London. The conversation will capture the men’s hopes, fears, and aspirations; their anger, frustrations and joys and use these as a springboard for authentic, honest, unapologetic interactions with each other that centre black queer experiences free from the white gaze. For us. By us.
Participants will be recruited to reflect the diversity among black queer men in London, but also for their skills as writers, performers, filmmakers, photographers, designers, journalists, poets or visual artists at various stages of their careers.
Participants commit to:
- Creating ten articles/films/etc. for publication online over 12 months
- Attending six Blackout Hangouts/Lounge events
- Appearing in four Blackout UK podcasts
- Sharing publication rights with BlackoutUK under a Creative Commons Licence
- Attending launch and closing events and co-promoting the project outputs among their networks
- Supporting the recruitment of participants for subsequent Project Blackout seasons
Blackout UK commit to:
- Support the creative process with advice/sharing networks/editing/skills training
- Finding financial/in-kind support where possible
- Promoting the work of the participants among black queer men in the UK and beyond
- Recognising each published article/film/etc. with a fee
- Creating and sustaining a high-quality, accessible online and print platform for the Project BlackoutUK London outputs
- Hosting 10 Blackout Hangouts/Lounge that are fun, stimulating and instructive
- Documenting and archiving the project
How to get involved. . .
If you are interested in being part of Project BlackoutUK London, please complete this form and submit it by 01st Sept 2017 – we’ll be hosting our introduction hangout on Sunday 17th September
Being part of Project Blackout UK is a significant commitment, we’re ambitious for it to be a worthwhile experience both for personal development and in strengthening our community. If its not right for you at this stage, there are many other ways to work with BlackoutUK and to join the conversation – sign up to our mailing list to be among the first to know.
If you are based outside of London, we’re really keen to hear from you – do you think your city is ready for a Project BlackoutUK?
Update: Thanks to all who applied. We’re really excited to be starting Project BlackOutUK London with an amazing group – watch this space . . .